How Can Chalk Markers Chilik be Removed?
Chilik Liquid Chalk Markers can be easily removed from non-porous surfaces with a wet cloth. On non-erasable (porous) surfaces, a portion of the pigment may be absorbed, producing a shadow to be left behind upon removal. This will happen with any liquid chalk you use. Consider the following ideas for assistance:
- Clean the surface with a Magic Eraser. They are very effective but may take off some paint on surfaces, so ensure you test the eraser a small area first.
- Use baby wipes. They are also quite effective and a bit gentler than Magic Erasers.
- Use NEOPlex Chalkboard Cleaner or a similar ammonia-based cleaning solution such as Windex.
- For smooth surfaces: glass, window, mirror, can be used Microfiber Cloth which is in the set.
You should test all cleaning solutions on a small area as each solution affects surfaces in a different way.
Be mindful that chalkboard compositions differ. Some markers can be used efficiently on various chalkboards without shadowing, but not always. Occasionally, you may apply a fresh coat of chalkboard paint to give the chalkboard new life, or add a clear dry erase coating to it, which will seal the chalkboard. The seal is transparent and allows markers to be wiped off easily.
How Can a Chalkboard be Sealed?
There are a couple of reasons to have a chalkboard sealed. To begin with, sealing a porous surface like a painted chalkboard allows you to erase your liquid chalk markers very simply. You can also seal over your chalk markers so whatever you’ve written can’t be removed.
If you want a matte finish, use Aleene’s Spray Acrylic Sealer. Otherwise, we suggest using Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Spray. If you are sealing a porous surface, apply a few coats of sealer as it will allow you to remove your chalk markers very easily, anytime. If you’re sealing over chalk markers so they can’t be removed, a single coat will get the job done. Ensure you adhere to the manufacturer’s directions printed on the can.
Again, always test on a small area first.
How to I Begin Using Chalk Markers?
Take your time priming and prepping your new chalk markers to get the results you want, then do the following:
- Make sure that your marker tip (nib) is tightly inserted in the ink barrel.
- Make sure that the lid is firmly secured (just in case, snap the lid to be sure it’s tight). The ink is hard to get out of clothing so this practice should be done before and after use.
- Shake it for about 20 to 30 seconds so the ink pigment becomes silky when mixed.
- Press the tip (nib) on a piece of paper for about 20 to 30 seconds until it’s saturated with ink. The nib must absorb the ink since it’s a specialty sponge.
- Repeat this process with all the other markers before beginning.
Don’t forget, these are developed to be used on smooth (non-porous) surfaces. They can work efficiently on most chalkboards, but they aren’t traditional pieces of chalk. If you have any questions, contact us for more information.
What Surfaces are Considered Erasable?
If used on smooth surfaces, Chilik Liquid Chalk Markers can be erased easily.
Here is a list of non-porous surfaces the chalk markers can be used on:
- Chalkboard stickers
- Glazed ceramic
- Slate chalkboards
- LED display boards
- Several metals, plastics, and laminates
Prior to use, we recommend testing these surfaces first.
If you want to remove markers from a porous surface, follow these tips to remove shadows or stains produced by liquid chalk markers.
You might be interested in this article discussing surfaces that are non-erasable.